Thursday, March 6, 2008

Popovers

2 C Flour
1 tsp Salt
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 C milk, room temperature

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients. Combine, being sure not to over mix. Heat oven to 450. Once the oven is heated, place popover pan (empty) into the oven to heat for 5-10 minutes. Remove, and grease popover cups with butter or oil. Fill 1/2- 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 30 minutes. Yields roughly a dozen popovers.

Some tips to remember: make sure that milk and eggs are room temperature. Don't open the oven while the popovers are cooking or they'll come out flat. If you use skim or fat free milk, decrease the oven temp by 25 degrees and take a few minutes off the cooking time.

A few years ago I remember making some that I think had cheese or something in them. Chris was saying today how good it would be to put some cheese and ham in the middle, which we may have to try. You can also just sprinkle cheese on top of the batter prior to placing in the oven. Popover pans can be purchased here or here. I'm just now realizing that I think I have the mini-pan (which still makes a good sized popover). I feel like I've been living a lie. The ones they serve at the cafe are gynormous so I'm quite sure they use a larger pan. I've also heard of people making these in muffin tins, which I've never tried so you are on your own on that one.

The ingredients for popovers are pretty basic, which means they aren't super flavorful, which is why you'll want to make some yummy raspberry butter to go with (don't worry there will be no churning involved.) Popovers in NYC serves theirs with strawberry butter which is delicious, but I'm more of a raspberry gal, so I made raspberry instead. Super simple, super easy:

Raspberry Butter
1 stick (1/4 lb) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 C raspberry preserves
2 Tbsp powdered sugar

Place in mixer and beat until well combined. Return to refrigerator to help set. Try to resist eating by the spoonful.

No comments: